Free Speech and Dissent During Wartime
A. Alien and Sedition Act of 1798 - Quasi War with France and response of the Kentucky and Virginia resolutions.
- Perilous Times: Free Speech and Wartime from the Sedition Act of 1798 to the War on Terrorism, by Jeoffrey R. Stone.
- Reclaiming the American Revolution: The Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions and Their Legacy, by William J. Watkins, Jr.
- Voices in Dissent, by Arthur A. Ekirch, Jr. (an anthology of individualist thought in the United States from Benjamin Rush’s “Plan of a Peace Office” to Erich Fromm’s “May Man Prevail?” which challenged the reigning popular beliefs or opinions of the times.)
B. War Between the States.
- The Limits of Dissent: Clement L. Vallandigham and the Civil War, by Frank L. Clement.
- Ex Parte: In the Matter Lambdin Milligan, edited by Samuel Klaus.
- Constitutional Problems Under Lincoln, by James G. Randall.
- Lincoln’s Wrath: Fierce Mobs, Brilliant Scandals and the President’s Mission to Destroy the Press, Jeffery Manber and Neal Dahlstrom
- The Fate of Liberty: Abraham Lincoln and Civil Liberties, by Mark E. Neeley, Jr.
- American Bastille, by John A. Marshall.
- The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda An Unnecessary War, by Thomas J. DiLorenzo.
C. Spanish-American War
- Twelve Against Empire: The Anti-Imperialists, 1898-1900, by Robert L. Beisner
- Edward Atkinson: The Biography of an American Liberal, 182 7-1905, by Harold Francis Williamson.
D. World War I
- Opponents of War, 1917-1918, by H.C. Peterson and Gilbert C. Fite.
- World War I and the Origin of Civil Liberties in the United States, by Paul L. Murphy.
- Political Repression In Modern America: 1870 to the Present, by Robert Justin Goldstein.
E. World War II
- Free Speech in the Good War, by Richard W. Steele.
- A Trial on Trial: The Great Sedition Trial of 1944, by Lawrence Dennis and Maximilian St. George.
- The Constitution in Crisis Times, 1918-1969, by Paul L. Murphy.
F. Vietnam War
- Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers, by Daniel Ellsberg.
G. War on Terror - Iraq
- The War on Our Freedoms: Civil Liberties in an Age of Terrorism, edited by Richard C. Leone and Greg Anrig, Jr.